Friday, March 16, 2012

Controlling your story

Last year I received news that I was beginning to lose my hearing a bit. Not a lot, but enough so that my unfulfilled dream of owning my own recording studio will remain unfulfilled.

Yesterday I found out my eyes were beginning to abandon me as well. Again, not a lot and not yet to the extent that I need permanent glasses. The store next to the optometrist has glasses for $200. My family says I can get a pair for $15 at the grocery store. (sigh)

Doesn’t seem worth the bother.

So...what’s the point?

Control.

That’s the point.

Control, which I am losing.


I’m in my mid-forties and I am losing control of certain bodily functions (stop chuckling, I’m not talking about those bodily functions).

Don’t get me wrong I realize I do not have it all that bad. It’s normal at my age to start to lose the clarity and functionality I enjoyed in my youth.

And I am grateful for what I still have. I am not really complaining here. I’m merely pointing some things out which are relevant to my point.

And what’s the point?

Control.

Chuck Wendig wrote an articlethe other day about throughlines.

I got to thinking about what my throughline is for The Plotters of Cantaera novels.

Control.

The primary throughline is control.

William Deane wants control of his life. The Maithus want control of their destiny. The au-Vonya plotters already have control of all of Cantaera. The ec-Vonya, the fallen ones, want to get their control back. The general populace of Cantaera has no idea they are being controlled.

That’s the primary throughline.

The secondary throughline is seeking.

From the start William Deane is seeking his father. The Maithus are seeking the fulfillment of the prophecy of the Ves-Jin. Coralis is seeking a place of power within the government. The government’s henchmen are seeking William Deane.

There are other throughlines as well, but that’s enough to get my point across.

And what was that original point?

Control.

Chuck is so right when he says we should seriously consider and sharpen our throughline ideas.

Understand what your throughlines are.

Keep a consistent theme through the whole story.

Good advice.

Later.

PPC


No comments:

Post a Comment