Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The LEAP device


I love technology.

And occasionally I will write about technology, especially when it overlaps or interconnects with the books I write.

It’s a no-brainer to connect the dots between my sci-fi Romy Malloy novels and technology, but what about The Plotters of Cantaera fantasy novels?

I have mentioned before here on this blog that my sci-fi has a pretty big element of fantasy inside. And, my fantasy also has an element of science and technology.

To me, the crossing of these two is an inevitable conclusion.

Arthur C. Clarke said it best: “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”

So, today, when I read about a new technology that provides a seamless way to interact with your computing devices without using physical input devices, you know I was intrigued.

What I am referring to is the new LEAP device.

You can check it out here:



While this new device is pretty super cool all on its own, what really piqued my interest was the name.

You know what I am going to do here, don’t you?

Yeah, that’s right. I am going to connect this new device called the LEAP to my stories.

I’m a writer. That’s what I do.

See, long ago... hmmm.... about seven years ago now... I started writing a new fantasy story called The Plotters of Cantaera.

Central to this story is a young man named William Deane, and what’s so special about William is that he has the power to overrule the control that the Plotters have over all other Cantaeran’s, control the Plotters use in their quest to create a Utopian society on the world.

William’s ability has a name.

It is called a LEAP.

That’s a shortened acronym for Logical Event Anomaly Pattern.

The Plotters monitor all activity on Cantaera in order to ensure that the subject’s activity and behavior stay within allowed parameters.

A certain level of “free-will” is allowed, which gives the people of Cantaera the impression that they still have control of their lives, that they control their own destiny.

When a person’s behavior is found to be pushing too far outside the acceptable parameters set forth by the Plotters, adjustments are made.

However, it is possible, theoretically possible anyway, that a subject would have the power to subvert ALL the adjustments that the Plotters might make and go completely off the prescribed grid of behavior and act fully and completely at the behest of their own consciousness, acting fully upon their own “free-will”.

The ability to completely circumvent the control of the Plotters is called a LEAP.

This has never happened. Not since the time of The Breaking.

Until now.

William Deane has performed a LEAP of significant proportions.

Beyond a Level Seven breach.

And he has to be stopped.

So, you can see why I was VERY excited to see a new technological device released with a name like LEAP.

It’s kind of eerie.

Well, it is to ME at least.



No comments:

Post a Comment