Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Before you click “Buy” on that latest How-To online writing course...


I’ve had something on my mind lately... something that’s bugging me a bit.

Well, not really bugging me, but... nagging at me.

Something that keeps standing out in my field of perception and poking me in the brain and saying “Write about me... tell them... now!”

So, I decided to finally let you in on what’s been bugging me.


A CLARIFICATION
First, let me state clearly and simply -- for those who are new and for those who may have forgotten.

I am of course a writer, and in the end, in the grand sum of all things, I am hoping to make some sales on the books that I write.

That’s no surprise right?

No one’s offended that I actually came out and said that, are they?

Hope not. Because, the dream, the hope, the goal of all that I do here is that someday I can make a living at it.

Capiche?

Isn’t that pretty much your dream too?

HOWEVER... there is another goal that I have.

MY ULTERIOR MOTIVES
That other goal that I have is this: Apart from the actual novels that I write, I sincerely hope that what I write on this blog (and what I offer for sale at the miniscule price of only $0.99), you know, the advice, the tips, the stories of my own pitfalls in this weird and wonderful world of self publishing, I really do hope that this stuff helps some of you, or maybe even ALL of you.

Yes, there is at least a very small portion of my being that remains altruistic and truly wants to help others.

That means you. Yes, even you in the back there.

SO WHAT?
So, when do we get to the part of all this that’s been bugging me?

That would be now.

We all know that this wonderful internet thingy has a lot of information in it... right? We do know that, don’t we?

And we also know that there are a lot of other folks out there who (sort of like me, but not) also state that they “want to help” you become a better... (fill in the blank). For our purposes we’ll say they want to make you a better writer.

You can do a Google search and find all kinds of wonderful how-to writing seminars or offers for flashy gizmo’s designed only to make you a better “writer”, things that Billy Mays and Vince the Slap Chop guy would be more than happy to sell to you in an infomercial.

And some of them I would trust and I do read their blogs and I have even paid for some of their services (the affordable ones).

THE BUG IN THE OINTMENT
But have you looked at some of the prices of these other “real-deal” or “Platinum Level” packages? The Super-Deluxe-Does-Everything-For-You-So-All-You-Have-To-Do-Is-Sit-Back-And-Count-Your-Income packages? These are the MUST HAVE packages, or so they say.

And you know what? They are EXTREMELY expensive!

And what really gets my goat, what pisses me off the MOST, is how they LURE you in, get you to thinking they are going to just GIVE you the keys to the kingdom with that first cheap (or free) widget that you get from them.


But wait! That’s not all!
It’s the classic bait-and-switch method.

You can read the blog or the FREE intro-course that SAYS it’s going to give you ALL-YOU-NEED-TO-KNOW to be the WORLDS-BEST-BLOGGER, but when you get through it they haven’t really divulged ANYTHING that you didn’t already know.

You have to pay for the NEXT class... the even BETTER class... cause that’s where you get the REAL info on how to do X,Y, and Z...
Yea... right.

AND THIS IS A PROBLEM BECAUSE...?
So, why should I even bother to write about this?

Because I really do care about you other writers out there. I know, I know, I really don’t need to worry... you are all a bunch of SAVVY sons of guns and all that and would never fall for the money grubbing tricks out there lurking around every corner just waiting to grab you and deflate your wallet.

Hey, even the best of us can get caught in one of these ruses.

But... just take a moment. Think. There is a trick to avoid these shitty dastardly schemes.

It’s actually simple. It’s the old tried and true analysis method that still works best even in today’s high-tech world of glitzy internet offers.

Remember: If it’s TOO good to be true then it probably is!

Just be careful folks.

Before you click BUY on that cool new “how to be a better blogger/writer/author” class, do another Google search.

Read some more blogs.

And, God forbid, ASK someone else what they might think about it! Heck you can ask ME even!

Odds are you can find something for far less money (maybe even free) and get the same or even better advice and tips to get you where you need to be.

And... NO MATTER WHAT... Never give up! Never surrender!



Later, and thanks for letting me vent a little.




No comments:

Post a Comment