Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Help! I need somebody.


Some people might ask why I do all this.

(ok, maybe they don’t... but they might... someday)

Why do you write? Why do you blog? Why do you care? Why do you make pancakes in the morning and walk around naked when no one is around?

Courtesy Molly MacRae WANA Commons

Well the naked pancake part defies explanation.

But the rest?

I think I can have a go at all that.

I write because I love it.

Fantasy, scifi, etc. etc...

I love these genres and therefore I write in these genres.

And I love to help others.

That’s why I write the “Stop Sucking” series (see all my books here).

I think it’s vitally important to develop a habit of helping. And let me be VERY clear about something before I go any further.

I am NOT a saint. I am not looking for glory. I am not out to make myself look like I am better than anyone else.

I genuinely believe that it is RIGHT for me to pass on information and tips and advice and hell even just passing on the BS about my life because it may make some of you chuckle... It is the right thing to do because it might just help someone else who is in a tight spot facing some of the same monsters and demons I have faced and if it helps you to get over or beyond or to beat that monster in half the time it took me then we have all just made the world a little better.

Now... since you have maybe just learned a little bit of something from me, it’s time for you to pass it on. Give it to someone else who needs it. And yes, I’ll use the cliché... Pay it forward.

But...Why?

Why should you do this? Why should I do this?

Simple... helping you helps me helps you helps me...

Long ago I learned a lesson that still sticks with me. It was about work and work related issues but it crosses over perfectly into almost all things in life.

See basically there are two ways to look at the world: FEAST or FAMINE.

I like to break these down to something I can understand a little better: ABUNDANCE and SCARCITY.

If you are a writer and you look at your work from a SCARCITY or FAMINE mentality you might believe that there are only a FEW book buyers out there, or there are only a FEW agents or publishers who will want you, or that you will only be able to reach a FEW people with your writing.

And you may be right. I don’t know. I can’t be sure.

But one thing I CAN be sure about... if you approach your work with ONLY that frame of mind then there WILL only be a FEW readers/agents/publishers. You will be a prophet.

I think it was Henry Ford who said “If you think you can or you think you can’t you are right.”

I firmly believe that a proper attitude or frame of mind or paradigm or whatever freaking fancy word you want to put on it... your mental state can and WILL drive and direct how well you perform and succeed.

Put simply... do it half-assed and you will fall on your full ass.

BUT.... yes there is always a big but...

Let’s turn this frown upside down!

Let’s look at your work/goals from an ABUNDANCE mentality, take the FEAST approach.

I mean COME ON! The words themselves elicit a better frame of mind!

FEAST! Mmm... food... barbecues... shrimp... steaks... potatoes!

See???!! Don’t you feel better already???!!!

OK, let’s put some numbers to it. A quick (fake) Google search tells me that there are THOUSANDS of agents out there. Have you queried them all?

And there are HUNDREDS of publishers out there. Have you sent them all samples?

And for us indies... there are MILLIONS of readers out there and MILLIONS of hits on Amazon all the time... have you as yet been in the face of all those potential readers?

Looking at it like that you can see what I mean when I say FEAST and ABUNDANCE!

There are quite literally MILLIONS of potential buyers for indie authors out there. If we were sharks we would be feeding constantly!

Now I ain’t saying it’s easy. There is a LOT of work to be done.

But stop right there... re-read what I just wrote... there is a LOT of work to be done!

One might say there is an ABUNDANCE of work to be done... a virtual FEAST of tasks to be completed.

So instead of sitting around scratching your ass wondering when someone is going to do it all for you, why don’t you sit up in your chair and start making a PLAN of action and do some of these things on your own! OR maybe even do ALL of them on your own!

It ain’t easy, but it CAN be done.

There are TONS of resources out there. Use Google. It’s a great tool.

And OK, here... I will even GIVE you a few websites so that you can get started on your own. Sheez... I didn’t think I was going to have to do it ALL for you! (heehee... JK)

Start here: KristenLamb is one of the best places to begin for indie authors. Because you will need a Social Media platform. Don’t ask me what that is... that’s Kristen’s Job.

Then go here: BobMayer is an accomplished writer who also passes along great tips and such about indie publishing etc.

And there are some GREAT online papers that gather a TON of other blogs together into one location so you can peruse and choose articles that best fit your needs. One is Corvallis Press and another is Unbridled Editor.

So look... I ain’t saying it’s easy and I ain’t saying I’m perfect and I ain’t saying this ain’t gonna take a lot of time and a lot of work. (haha... I like using AINT... drive all you ProfessorPedantic’s CRAZY!!)

But you can do a LOT of it... and, if you approach your work with a GOOD attitude, an attitude of ABUNDANCE, then you will realize that there is a lot of booty out there just waiting for an Indie Pirate to come along and take it!

So go get some booty!

Later!

PPC




No comments:

Post a Comment