Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Slap Band Communication Device



OK ya’ all... I DO NOT in any way shape or form consider myself to be a “prophet” of science fiction and definitely not of science.

But I gotta tell you that what I have learned recently about Apple’s plans for a future phone that can be worn on the wrist makes me think I am at least kinda sorta on the right track!

Apple is planning to develop a phone that can be worn on the wrist.

Here’s a pic of Apple’s idea:
Pretty freaking awesome, huh?

So? You ask... what does that have to do with you and your writing and your hinted at prophetic ability?

I am SOOO glad you asked.

In my currently in-development novel starring Culver Bishop titled EVERY PURPOSE UNDER HEAVEN which is set about 30 years in our future, the commonly used communications device is made of a malleable nano-plastic that while in default shape mode will measure about 1.5 inches wide by 5 inches long and will be flexible... just like the old kids toy SNAP BANDS... and typically is worn ON THE WRIST!

ON THE WRIST, I tell ya! Isn’t that quite the coincidence?

Pic here of SNAP BANDS:
I played with these things for HOURS!
Now the cool thing about this communications device in Culver’s world, and the major difference between mine and Apple’s, is that the user is able to change the SHAPE of the device at will to match his or her communications needs.

For example, if you want it on your wrist just leave it in default shape mode.

However, if you want to watch a video you can pull the device straight and grab the opposite edges and STRETCH it!

Want a square or rectangle? Just pull it! Want a 36-inch HD screen to watch a video? Just PULL IT!

No not this...
Yea... that's it!
Here's a link to some "real world" development of this stuff: http://darrenlipomi.com/
 
Now the standard comm device is limited in how far you can stretch it and can only go about as far as 36-inches, but there are other devices that utilize the same malleable nano-plastic and can go even larger. Wall size!

So it’s just kind of cool to know that the things I imagine for Culver Bishop’s future are already in development. I can’t wait to see what other great gadgets we will have in 30 years!

Later!

PPC


No comments:

Post a Comment